Piedra del Aguila hydroelectric plant
The hydroelectric plant is located on the river Limay, between Neuquén and Rio Negro provinces, approximately 25 km from the village of Piedra del Aguila, 250 km from the town of Neuquén and 1200 km from the capital Buenos Aires.
The main works are described below:
- Diversion works, consisting of a canal and a control structure with a flow capacity of 4,800 m³/s, regulated by four sluice gates, 6 m high and 9 m wide.
- Concrete dam with a volume of 2,742,000 m³, maximum height 165 m, crest length 820 m, width 9 m. The dam includes inspection galleries at height intervals of 30 m.
- Intake works in the dam body, with six openings regulated by sluice gates 10 m high and 7.40 m wide.
- Four steel penstocks with a cross section of 64 m² and a length of 88 m, in the dam body.
- Spillway regulated by four radial gates, 21 m high and 17 m wide, located on the left side of the dam, together with a 98 m long tailrace channel and 250 m chute terminating in a flip bucket energy dissipater.
- Powerhouse located at the foot of the dam, equipped with four 350 MW Francis turbo generators, utilising a 111 m head. Installation of two additional units is envisaged to reach a total installed capacity of 2,100 MW. The powerhouse is 162 m long, 68 m wide and 64 m high.
- Bottom outlet of three steel pipes, diameter 4.5 m, length 76 m, located on the right bank and regulated by level gates.
|MAIN TECHNICAL DATA:|
|Earth excavation: 1,904,000 m3|
|Rock excavation: 2,590,000 m3|
|Underground excavation: 113,600 m3|
|Embankments (cofferdams): 683,000 m3|
|Concrete: 3.518,600 m3|